- Who is 11-year-old YouTube star Matty B, and why is everyone so mad at him?
- A guy you've never heard of now hosts one of YouTube's most popular shows
- Three cheers for Hannah Hart's 'My Drunk Kitchen' cookbook
- I had my emoji use analyzed, and the results were grim
- Yahoo researchers try to understand the mythical Tumblr
- How Tina Belcher became everyone's favorite awkward teen hero
- The YouTube celebrity culture debate: How can creators and fans coexist?
- Wong Fu and the secrets of DIY YouTube stardom
- 8 people who are doing comedy right on Vine
- What it's really like to work for a YouTube star
- Teen commits suicide after posting a haunting message on YouTube
- The silent struggle against WhatsApp's tick system
- Meet the 5 companies trying to beat YouTube at its own game
- Teens love spoofing the 'Life Alert' commercial on Vine
- Behind the fractured folk tales of MC Frontalot’s ‘Question Bedtime’
- Meet Barbara Dunkelman: Internet celebrity, community manager, superhero
- This young girl is leading a revolution—via YouTube, 6,000 miles from home
- Here's how to become the ultimate Tumblr power user
- VidCon 2014: A tale of 2 conventions
From The Kernel Archives
“Furries” is the name given to members of one of the most bizarre subcultures on the internet. While the furry moniker covers a broad church of further sub-interests, all furries have one thing in common: a fascination with anthropomorphic animals. This can manifest as anything from being a fan of furry cartoons to believing they are actually a fox trapped in a human body.
A defining characteristic of furries is their obsession with dressing up and, since badger suits don’t come cheap, spending hours lovingly crafting fur-suits for play time. Yes, that was a euphemism for fucking in a fur-suit.
As the percentage of the world’s population who are obsessed with talking animals is fairly low, it’s the internet that allows these lonely souls to come together. Sites such as FurAffinity, Inkbunny, SoFurry, Furocity, Furry 4 Life and FurNation allow users to meet with like minds and indulge in their fantasies together.
The vast majority of furry fans who are in a relationship are in one with another furry. The link between being in the furry fandom and sexuality is hard to miss; the vast majority of online furry fandom art has none-too-subtle sexual overtones. (Comically large genitalia are a running theme.) There’s even a community term for having sex in furry costume: fursuit-sex.
People have long enjoyed dressing up, halloween costumes and fancy dress parties give licence to behave in ways we might not otherwise, so maybe we shouldn’t be so judgmental. At the end of the day, what is wrong with getting noshed off in a koala outfit?Filed under Archived Story, Kernel Guide to the Internet | Comment (0)