- Inside the black market for college homework
- Are video games leveling up or dumbing down education?
- Why MOOCs won’t save our education system
- Inside the real world of Teach for America
- Education on YouTube isn't as easy as A, B, C
- Will the next generation of kids study Shakespeare on Rap Genius?
- Here's the American geography lesson you never got as a kid
- Snapchat disrupts classrooms like nothing else—but some teachers love it
- You can help Stanford study Alzheimer's in your sleep
- Computer helps predict if teens will turn into binge drinkers
- This startup wants to make scientific research easier to understand
- AsapSCIENCE answers life's most pressing questions on YouTube
- How coding in schools can close tech's gender gap
From The Kernel Archives
“Furries” is the name given to members of one of the most bizarre subcultures on the internet. While the furry moniker covers a broad church of further sub-interests, all furries have one thing in common: a fascination with anthropomorphic animals. This can manifest as anything from being a fan of furry cartoons to believing they are actually a fox trapped in a human body.
A defining characteristic of furries is their obsession with dressing up and, since badger suits don’t come cheap, spending hours lovingly crafting fur-suits for play time. Yes, that was a euphemism for fucking in a fur-suit.
As the percentage of the world’s population who are obsessed with talking animals is fairly low, it’s the internet that allows these lonely souls to come together. Sites such as FurAffinity, Inkbunny, SoFurry, Furocity, Furry 4 Life and FurNation allow users to meet with like minds and indulge in their fantasies together.
The vast majority of furry fans who are in a relationship are in one with another furry. The link between being in the furry fandom and sexuality is hard to miss; the vast majority of online furry fandom art has none-too-subtle sexual overtones. (Comically large genitalia are a running theme.) There’s even a community term for having sex in furry costume: fursuit-sex.
People have long enjoyed dressing up, halloween costumes and fancy dress parties give licence to behave in ways we might not otherwise, so maybe we shouldn’t be so judgmental. At the end of the day, what is wrong with getting noshed off in a koala outfit?Filed under Archived Story, Kernel Guide to the Internet | Comment (0)